To Protect the Planet.
More and more people are calling pigskin the "greener" leather. Even before hides enter the tanning drum, pigskin has significant environmental and sustainability benefits over cowhide.
It's the difference between cows and pigs, actually. Compared to pigs, cattle, by weight:
- Use three times more land and four times more water
- Produce six times more greenhouse gasses and four times more nitrous oxide, ammonia and Reactive N gasses
Finally, one cow (from birth to harvest) produces more methane than 450 pigs (from birth to harvest).
If you are building a truly sustainable platform, pigskin can play an important part in that initiative. Why consider a sustainability platform? For one, a 2017 Neilsen study, 66% of U.S. shoppers would pay a premium for brands that make sustainable product. And "green" leather means cleaner product. Nature says so.
How can sustainability fit into your brand identity? How should it? Consider Wolverine Worldwide Leathers Horizon collections of upper and lining leathers:
- Metal-Free (MF) upper and lining leathers
- C2C traceability to source: Humane harvesting
- Environmentally friendly, hypoallergenic tanning: Easy on the foot and its footprint
- Stable supply chain: Consistent, high quality
- No compromise in product quality
Choose to refuse more metals in footwear by selecting Horizon, our hypoallergenic, metal-free pigskin lining for your footwear. Made without chrome, aldehydes, salt, inorganic acids or vegetables, Horizon is RSL, REACH, ZDHC, and Blue Sign compliant.